Bahnasa: view north along the Bahr Yussuf canal: 1897
The modern village of el-Bahnasa (ancient Oxyrhynchus) is stretched along the west bank of the Bahr Yussuf, Josephs Canal, actually not a canal but a natural branch of the Nile. It is now linked by a bridge to the modern village of Sandafa (ancient Sintabo?), once subordinate but now much larger than Bahnasa. There was no bridge here in ancient times, crossing the canal being by ferryboat only.