THE HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL



Home Page

Black History Map Project

St Catherine's Court

A Poem

Our Headteacher

Acknowledgments

Contact Us

Gloucestershire Black and Asian History Web Site

 

Tredworth Junior School was built on a site previously occupied by an orchard in an area of Gloucester known as Newtown. Many railway workers with families moved into the area in the later 1800's and so the need for a school became obvious to the City Council by 1885. On August 20th of that year, coins, together with copies of newspapers of 1885, were placed in a cavity beneath the foundation stone of Tredworth Board Schools.

Tredworth School in 1905

The School in 1905

The school opened in 1887 and was at first an all age school for 5 - 15. The children were taught in halls with classes of up to 70, each class having a teacher, with several monitors (older children) to assist. The school board report for 1894 states that there is accommodation for 240 boys, 240 girls and 204 infants - a total of 684 children - more than double the number of pupils here today - so it must have been quite crowded!

During the 1930's, the halls were subdivided into classrooms and these partitions can still be seen today. After the 1944 Education Act, Tredworth became an Infant/Junior School and remained like this until 1971 when a new Infant School was opened nearby. In 1987, Tredworth Juniors celebrated its centenary and was honoured by a visit from the Princess Royal.

Next Page